Saturday, May 12, 2018

Making Better Decisions


“Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts”, by Annie Duke, describes how most people incorrectly view the outcome of a decision as being reflective of the quality of their decision process. They think good outcomes from a decision means there was a good decision process and bad outcomes are because of a bad decision process. According to the author, who was a professional gambler, the outcome is more often related to luck than a bad decision process. For example, if you decide to drive through a red light, the fact that you did not get into a crash is more related to luck than being the result of a good decision.

The author claims that people are very uncomfortable with the idea that luck plays such a big part in the outcome of their decisions and are even more uncomfortable with the idea luck plays a big part in their life. Instead of evaluating our choices as having different probabilities of success (like a poker hand), we see our choices as more black and white options with no shades of grey in which choices may be best. Like playing a game of poker, the more information you gain as the game progresses, the less luck controls the result and the better the probability of your chances of making a decision with positive outcomes. Rather than characterizing choices as black or white, her recommendation is to put a probability of success on choices and modify the probability as more information comes available.

Since reading this book, I have been looking more closely at how much information I have about my given set of choices. I noticed that as soon as I started adding a probability (my belief of the percentage chance of success) to each choice, it clarified how much I didn’t know about the future and what the overall risks I was taking with each choice.

I recently had a major decision about my car, since my 3 year lease was coming to an end. Should I buy it? Should I lease another car? Should I buy a new car? Should I use the same dealer? As I collected more and more information and calculated the costs and downside risks of each option, it became clear that a new lease had the best probability of long-term success for me. This process quickly ended my quandary as to what to do. It also made the process of leasing a new car much easier since I went into the negotiation aware of how much of the process was a gamble; would the car be great or a lemon? Time will tell.

It is fascinating to consider how much of the outcomes of my life decisions are just chance, out of my control.

This book is really well written which made understanding the concepts of probability easy to understand and enjoyable to read.
I highly recommended the book!

10 comments:

Nabila Widianti said...

This article is very useful, thank you for sharing. And allow me to share articles too, it's about health and treatment. God willing
cara menyembuhkan erosi serviks secara alami, Cara Menghilangkan Mata Berlemak (Pterigium), Cara Mengobati Retina Mata Lepas, Robek, Putus Dan Rusak, Cara Mengatasi Detak Jantung Tidak Beraturan (Aritmia)

Unknown said...

Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.
Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com. even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

Angel said...

Nice information, valuable and excellent design, as share good stuff with good ideas and concepts, lots of great information and inspiration, both of which I need, Very good points you wrote here..Great stuff...I think you've made some truly interesting points.Keep up the good work.
free car removal hobart
cash paid for cars hobart

Hazel Donovan said...

Wonderful blog post. This is absolute magic from you! I have never seen a more wonderful post than this one. You've really made my day today with this. I hope you keep this up!
car removal brisbane
car removal in brisbane

Cash 4 Cars Victoria said...

I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job.
Cash for Cars Victoria
Cash for Scrap Cars Victoria

FLORES said...

I am FRED and i want quickly recommend DR NCUBE for a Job well done by
curing me from the genital herpes disease that have be giving me sleepless night. if you want to contact him, Simply do that via email drncube03@gmail.com or 
call/whatsapp +2348155227532
he also have #herbs for
#hiv/aids
#cancerdisease 
#fibroid 
#diabetes

Hashtag Car Removal said...

Great post and very informative post. At Hashtag Car Removal, you will get fast and easy cash for cars service. We are a reliable company all over Sydney NSW that pays up to $7,999 for any scrap, junk, or unwanted cars. Our expert team will remove your 4×4, ute, SUV, vans, or trucks the very same day for FREE. cash for used cars sydney

Best Cash For Carz said...

Hello! I found your website on google and found it very useful and informative for our business and I also shared your website with my other friends also. Best Cash For Carz is a locally owned cash for cars business in Melbourne, VIC. We started this business with an aim to provide customers with a quick and efficient way to sell their vehicles without leaving their homes. We have over a decade of experience in Melbourne’s automobile market and have hired industry experts to help us along the way. We purchase a variety of junk and we buy cars melbourne in Australia and pay market competitive prices for them and remove it from your premises for FREE.

North Coast Wreckers said...

Such a great information for blogger I am a professional blogger thanks. North Coast Wreckers provide the best used or new car parts at an affordable price. Whether you are looking for an auto part for your engine. second hand auto parts townsville is an auto part recycler operating all over Townsville offering pickup and drop off services of all the auto parts.

Local Cash For Cars said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. There’s nothing better than a free service – except when you add to the equation a top-dollar payment up to $9,999! We buy cars. We resell or recycle them. There is no third person involve that means you get the best value. In fact, better value as compare to a dealer or wrecker. Get top cash for your old or junk car, Local sell my car for cash is the best and safest place to sell your unwanted car. Call Us Now 0483 333 000