Thursday, May 15, 2008

THE FISH, THE FRUIT, AND LONG NAPS UNDER A CEILING FAN


What is the best part of life in the slow lane?

Is it eating fish caught fresh that morning everyday for breakfast?

Is it the freshly picked organic fruit - the ripe sweet papayas, the creamy bananas, the buttery avocados or is it the locally grown organic vegetables - the juicy tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, and the best crispy lettuce we have ever tasted?

Is it the trade winds that blow warm moist air through the house all day?
Or is it the long lazy naps under a slowly moving ceiling fan on warm afternoons?
Is it swimming every day in the warm, sun heated pool and hanging out to talk story?

Or is it reading the tragic mainland news and feeling like it is some far off place that will not immediately affect us.

I think it is all of these and more that we will surely discover.
But one thing we know for sure is that the rat race to riches in Silicon Valley is overrated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is so reaffirming.
We've lived in Hilo all our lives and have suspected that this is a very very special place. One day I slipped into my automatic apologetic mode of making excuses for Hilo's rain. My friend who was visiting from Pennsykvania looked at me and said; "why do you think everything is green?" Of course that's true. I never did it again.
Mahalo
Richard
Hamakua Springs Country Farms

Beth said...

I've been reading your blog for a couple of months now. Fantastic content, and it's SO great to hear postive, intelligent people dispensing information. My SO and I are on our way to Hilo within a couple of months. (Around July 15th). I have a job teaching there for Kamehameha Schools. I can't wait. I just started a blog myself for teachers (teachhawaii.blogspot.com), but it's in it's infancy stage compared to yours. I love all your photos and detailed information of Hilo life. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to get there from the dreary and cold Pacific Northwest!

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can shorten your long links with LinkShrink and receive dollars for every visit to your short links.